Thursday, July 2, 2009

Good Bye Tolstoy (1990-2009)


This blog dedicated to Tolstoy, our 19 years old best friend cat.

Finally the day that Tolstoy left us and would never come back had arrived (July 2, 2009). He had fulfilled my wish that he could be able to stay and witness our 8th anniversary. After Tolstoy collasped from his ear inflammation once in early June, he had recovered amazingly from cortisone injection. I just hope that he would be able to stay with us at least 1 more year, unfortunately, he couldn't make it.

In the morning of June 29 (our 8th anniversary), I came downstairs and looked for Tolstoy and saw him vomit and have a constipation. I called the vet immediately and drove to drop him off. Mark called the vet late afternoon (3 p.m) and learned that he might need to stay overnight. On the way home from Tae Kwon Do class, I stopped by at the vet to check on him again. Tolstoy had to stay overnight. I was informed that he was doing fine. The doctor just gave him some medicine (I was not sure what name it was) to make him poop.

Next day in the afternoon, I picked him up. Once he got home, he walked exhaustedly and climbed upstairs to our bedroom. I hadn't seen him until late evening that he came down to eat and that was his very last meal. The day after, he stopped eating but drinking. Everytime he lied down, I noticed leaking urine. Mark & I knew it might be his time. The doctor suggested that we should start thinking about full exams with thousand of dollars or putting him to sleep because he was very old.

Until this morning, we decided to put him to sleep. On the way to the vet, Tolstoy mew all the way and that broke my heart. Mark carried him inside while I was waiting in the car (I was too sad). We couldn't stay with him for his last moment (that was terribly sad). If we would like to stay, we would need to make an appointment...that meant we would have to wait until Monday or Tuesday due to 4th July holiday. It would have made Tolstoy suffer for a couple more days....we couldn't do it.

Honestly, it was my worst emotional day ever. I cried every time I thought of him. I really miss him. Hopefully, we will have his ashes from cremation back next week.

I really miss you, Tolstoy! You will always be in my heart and forever.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry for your lost. I am certain Tolstoy is in a better place happy and healthy, he certainly had a really nice life with a great family like yours. Happy trails tolstoy

    ReplyDelete